Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Remembering 9/11

I originally had another post planned, but the more I thought about the significance of today, the more I really felt it would be disrespectful to do any thing other than this...


Like the generation of Pearl Harbor, I will never forget where I was when the news came down and pictures flashed on the screen...we had been attacked on our own soil and at the time, we didn't know how many were affected or who to blame.

As the pieces of the puzzle began to form the picture of that day and the events leading up to it and following it, we began as a nation to do something that hadn't happened in a long time...we put aside differences and worked together. We didn't care where you were from, what color your skin was, who your parents were, how much money you made...all we cared about was that we were Americans and we were stronger than any terrorist group who had nothing but hate in their hearts. 

I will never even begin to try to understand the fear of those trapped in the rubble of buildings.

I will never attempt to comprehend the pain of the widows, widowers and orphans it created or the sorrow of so many empty chairs at Thanksgiving.

I will never grasp the longing in the hearts of all the 9/11 babies who will celebrate birthday after birthday with only a picture of the man who makes up half of who they are.

I can't say that I will ever fully understand the true significance should I ever have the privilege of standing in the empty foot steps of the Twin Towers in New York.

But...what I do know is this...we are a country of fighters...a melting pot of people from all over this planet who have chosen to live together and should ANYONE threaten us, we will prevail and  not hide.

My prayers go out to all those who are hit the hardest on this anniversary day. I pray the pain is a little less...your life feels a little less empty and your heart a little more full with each passing year.

We will never forget your loved ones sacrifice and we will never forget you...the living champions of their gift.



No comments:

Post a Comment