Pages

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Throwing a Perfect Themed Birthday Party

I LOVE to throw parties. I don't care if it's a kid's party...adult party...baby shower...whatever!

We were so blessed 2 years ago to be able upgrade from our LITTLE 3 bedroom/1 bath house (for 5 people and a dog!) to a substantially larger house that allows my husband and I to have more than 1 family at a time over for fun (a feat that was totally NOT doable at our other house.)

My favorite kind of party to throw is a themed party, where I can just go crazy overboard with imagination and think of fun ways to incorporate theme into EVERYTHING!

Today...I want to share with you some of my FAVORITE things I've done at a couple of my son's last birthday parties and I hope they inspire you to go OVERBOARD with the fun for your next party!

LEGO STAR WARS
This was the theme of my son's 9th birthday last year. 

My favorite way to "go with the theme" is to name all of our snacks after show/theme.

For our Star Wars theme, I made these little bursts in Word and added the names of our treats. I found the Star Wars font here for free: Star Wars font for DaFont.com


Here's a list of a few of our snacks:

Wookie Cookies: Chocolate Chip Cookies
Space Rocks: Chocolate Candy Rocks
Yoda Soda: Green Party Punch (Lime Sherbet and Sprite)
Jaba Jelly Beans: Green Pear Flavored Jelly Beans
Light Sabers: Multi-Colored Twizzlers
Senator Pop-a-Teen: Pop Corn
Chocolate Space Balls: Silver Chocolate Balls
Lunar Legos: Candy Building Blocks







I went old school to make a Death Star Pinata.



 I used a large "punching" balloon and covered it with a paper towels (because once I started this I realized I didn't have any newspaper-Fail! LOL) dipped in a flour a water mixture (see....old school!) 

Once it dried I popped the balloon, made dent for the dent in the Death Star (this also hid the slit I made to shove candy in), spray painted it silver and added a few black accents with a marker. My hubby rigged a hook in it so we could hang it.

Our "light sabers" were just pool noodles cut in half an decorated with duct tape and electrical tape to resemble the handles of real light sabers.



We couldn't find a blind fold, so of course...we used a Santa Hat!!! 




AVENGERS ASSEMBLE

This year my son wanted an Avengers Party, but since we were having it in the middle of our CRAZY summer, I didn't have as much "planning time" as usual. BUT...we made the best of it and this is what we came up with!



Can you tell I like coming up with themed snacks!? LOL. My favorite this time was the "Thor-e-os." They were even "blonde" just like every one's favorite viking!



I found these cute masks at Walmart, so everyone got to pick their favorite character. My only problem? No Black Widow! BBOO!


Even super heroes gotta eat!

My favorite part of this party was this....

HULK SNOT!!!

We made Gak and dyed it VERY green, just like every one's favorite grumpy green guy.


I highly recommend doing this outside (we're on our driveway) because it can get a little messy. Plus, using disposable stuff helps with clean up because...let's be honest...you probably won't have any help.

Here is the recipe I used for Gak: 

It was perfect timing because back to school supplies were plentiful and on sale. :)

We also had a Avengers Water Balloon war, but I was too busy trying not to get wet to take pictures!

7 Perfect Party Tips to Remember:

1) Let your child be involved! You might not like the theme, but they (and their friends) will. My daughter last year for her 5th birthday wanted a Power Ranger's Samurai Party. Did we have a Power Rangers Samurai Party? Yup...complete with a viewing party of her favorite episode.

2) Naming snacks after your theme is the easiest (and funniest!) way to have your theme everywhere!

3) There is no need to go crazy with themed decorations. I pick 2-3 items that support my theme, like the table covering and the cake, and then all my other decorations support the color scheme. This is MUCH cheaper, plus you can save decorations to use again (have you noticed A LOT of boy themes are red and blue?)

4) Don't think you're creative? Google...Pinterest...that CRAZY creative friend...use your resources! BUT...

5) Remember...you don't have to have a crazy, ridiculous expensive party for your child to enjoy it and have the memories. Set a reasonable budget and work your plans around that. Feeding everyone not your budget? Have your party mid-to-late afternoon. No one will expect anything other than cake and a drink because they would have just eaten lunch or would be getting ready for dinner. Don't have money for a craft and a goodie bag? Have kids decorate a canvas bag with fabric markers or paint...it's their craft and their "thank you" present.

6) You will be too busy playing hostess with the mostest...ask a friend or another parent to play paparazzi for you so that you don't miss the memories while you're trying to keep the party going.

7) That being said...ENJOY Yourself!!! Take a minute to marvel at your hard work and the smiles on your party-goer's faces. Take a minute to hug your birthday boy or girl and tell how blessed you are to have them. (And get a picture of it! LOL!) Take a minute to remember why you did all this hard work and be proud of yourself.

So what do you think? Are you inspired to go a little overboard-crazy at your next birthday party?

I can't wait to see what you are inspired to do. Leave me a comment with a link to YOUR crazy-overboard fun party!

Until next time friends...keep being creative. 

XOXO-KERI


3 comments:

  1. I am just so pleased to have a look at these tips on throwing a perfect themed birthday party. I am feeling quite lucky already because I need to host a chic bash for my sister as she is expecting a baby boy. Just booked one of the rental spaces for parties at discounted rates and now found these easy to follow tips as well. My work has become so easy now.

    ReplyDelete